Monday, April 9, 2012

2012 NIAA High School Baseball Season Begins!

Once again it's spring time in Reno with the snow falling so it must be the start of High School Baseball season! Here's Your Reno Camera Guy working the 3rd base sideline during one of our recent GSP (Gustin Sports Productions) games of the week. I usually sit in center field but the configuration of this ball park wouldn't allow that so I got placed next to the 3rd base dugout. It kept most of the snow off of me but didn't keep the foul balls from coming my way as one hit a leg on my tripod and snapped off the foot. Good thing it didn't hit my foot! The JVC 500's that Envision Video uses are light weight and easy to get all the action. As a camera op I keep my eye to the view finder but occasionally look up to see where the ball is going.


Here's Eric of Envision Video setting up the field mic right behind home plate. Good position for catching all the noise on the field but a bad place to be for stray foul balls. Every now and then a ball will hit the mic or close to it which really pops the ears of everyone listening.
Eric takes a break to pose with me. I like working for Eric as a Video Camera Operator here in Reno, we get consistent work and also enjoy the outdoor elements!


Here's fellow camera op Janos. We've known each other since Boy Scouts and he just moved to Reno so I'm putting him to work. You can see by the way he's dressed that he'll fit in nicely here in Reno. Janos had the 1st base side and got all the right handed batters. I got all the left handed ones. It was fun switching off camera angles, it keeps you on your toes and makes you follow the action.


The sun came out as I'm the center field camera operator for this game. It's peaceful out there as I stand on top of Craig's truck supported by a saggy piece of plywood. My shot was pretty much a lock down on the pitcher and batter but every now and then I'd have to break away to follow a fly ball. We run a 500 ft cable out to center field and pray that it works so I don't have to run it twice. I'll operate my JVC 500 on batteries and maybe have to swap them out once a game. The good news is I'm working as a video camera operator here in Reno, the weather is typical Reno weather, I'm out side, I'm watching baseball, and I'm Your Reno Camera Guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment